Become A Foster Parent
Thank you for considering becoming a foster parent. Why become a foster parent? Currently in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts there is a great need for safe, nurturing homes and families for children and adolescents. Becoming a foster parent can feel like a long process but we are here to guide you. Here is a quick glance at the requirements of becoming a foster parent in MA and RI:
- Background clearances of all household members 14 and older. Results are considered on a case by case basis.
- Home must meet safely licensing standards, such as having smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, working heat and running water.
- Complete MAPP Training (Massachusetts Approach to Partnerships in Parenting)
Rhode Island Requirements:
- Background clearances of all household members 18 and older.
- Home must meet safety and licensing standards and complete DCYF Fire Inspection and Lead/Safety Inspection.
- Complete TIPPS-MAPP (Trauma Informed Partnering for Safety and Permanence Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting) training
You must be licensed in the state in which you live in. In both states it is required to complete a homestudy, which includes character and medical references. All required paperwork is obtained during this time as it is the final step prior to licensing (i.e. pay stubs, ID/license, insurance, etc.)